You find me this morning with only the dogs and your dear self for company. But never fear – my solitude is of a most temporal nature. For last night, Amanda upped and left me for the bright lights of Santa Cruz with the stated mission of rendezvousing with her mother and aunts, who are themselves due to arrive there in the very early hours of Sunday. God-willing, they will then take the overnight bus on Sunday night, arriving in Trinidad on Monday morning. We are excited to see some more family members, to welcome yet more first-time visitors to Trinidad, and, of course, get to sample Trinidad’s finest eateries on the ‘family tab’.
Naturally, we’ve had a few minor jobs to do around the house in anticipation of their arrival. In between all that, however, things have been busy enough. Amanda has once again been left in sole charge of Audiology, with Odalys not returning to Trinidad until yesterday afternoon. And I, all keenness personified, have been bashing out a sermon which isn’t due till next weekend, hoping to clear the schedule for time with our guests.
On Tuesday evening, we had the opportunity to spend a little time with Carlos and Carla, a young couple from the church (you may remember that the Lord did a mighty work in Carlos’s life about two years ago, restoring him – as an alcoholic – to sobriety, and rekindling his desire to serve him). A while back, they had been meeting regularly with our fellow missionaries Kenny & Claudia Holt (Carlos and Claudia come from the same family). We had grown aware recently that they were maybe in need of continued encouragement, with the Holts having returned to Scotland in July – and it turns out that they had too! So, on Tuesday, when we proposed meeting together on a weekly basis to study the Bible, they were extremely appreciative of the offer. We already have positive relationships with them – I with Carlos through the band, Amanda with Carla through her young women’s Bible study – and are looking forward to deepening these.
As with my own parents’ visit, we are anticipating the next few weeks to be pretty busy, in the best possible sense. At the tail end, we have taken some time off work in order to accompany Amanda’s mum and aunts to Santa Cruz for a few days, and we’re hoping to stay there a little longer ourselves post-departure. So we shall once again put the blog into shutdown mode, probably returning at some point before the end of September. Should anything urgent come up, we’ll be sure to notify the Facebook community. In the meantime…
- For safety for Amanda’s relatives, who are currently travelling south from Toronto, with a short layover in Panamá. And, indeed, for safety for all of our travel between Trinidad and Santa Cruz over the next few weeks.
- For a really blessed, refreshing, encouraging time with family.
- Please remember Tuesday evenings in your prayers – i.e., our times with Carlos and Carla, a couple who need a lot of encouragement.
- Continue to remember FT’s need of an Otoacoustics Emissions machine in your prayers – Amanda and Odalys could really do with replacing the ones that broke some time ago.
- For a really encouraging start to the ‘Sex & Relationships’ topic at the youth group. Lots of open, relaxed, Bible-based discussion last week.
- For those participants in the R.E. classes who are coming to a saving faith in the Lord Jesus – a few more this week.
¡Que Dios les bendiga!
Craig & Amanda